50 things Gazza has done...
1) One hour after playing for England, met 'showbiz pals' Danny Baker
and Chris Evans in a Hampstead pub while still wearing his full kit...
2)When asked for his nationality before an operation, told the nurse:
"Church Of England."
3) On a trip to London, jumped out of his car to demand "a go" on a
workman's pneumatic drill. After getting the go-ahead, happily pounded
the pavement to the amusement of shoppers.
4) On first meeting with Lazio's president to discuss his big-money move
to the Italian club, was quick to tell the esteemed gentleman that he
reminded him of comedian Russ Abbot.
5) Organisers of Italia 90 TV coverage had the splendid idea of
augmenting team line-ups with footage of each player mouthing his own
name. Gascoigne's genius led him to subvert the process by instead
mouthing 'f***ing w***ker.' Broadcasters across the world had to use it
all the way through the tournament.
6) Booked a series of sun-bed sessions for then-Newcastle team-mate Tony
Cunningham. Who, of course, is black.
7) Asked by a Norwegian camera crew if he had a message for England's
upcoming opponents, immediately responded with, "Yes. F**k off, Norway."
Then ran off laughing.
(Embedded image moved to file: pic16944.gif)CoolTurned up for England
training the morning after then-manager Bobby
Robson had called him "daft as a brush" with a floor brush sticking out
of his sock.
9) When asked for a footballing comment while at Lazio, burped
enthusiastically into a TV microphone. He was fined #39,000.
10) Decided it would be a great idea to have massive hair extensions.
Looked a fool and had them taken out a day later.
11) After paying for ex-wife Sheryl's breasts implants, sent flowers to
the hospital after the operation addressed to 'Dolly Parton.'
12) Astounded commuters in London by jumping on a double-decker in
London's Piccadilly Circus and asking if he could have a drive. The bus
driver said yes, and the passengers thoroughly enjoyed Gazza's impromptu
13) Sent a rose to the Wimbledon dressing room for Vinnie Jones after
the infamous ball-squeezing incident. Got a toilet brush in return.
14) Set up best mate Jimmy 'Five Bellies' Gardner with a 'girl' he knew
to be a transvestite.
15) Has taken the piss out of refs constantly during his career. On one
occasion he sniffed a hapless ref's armpit while he was holding his hand
high to signal a free kick.
16) Undeterred by their frosty reactions, Gazza again tried to prove
that refs have a sense of humour by yellow-carding the referee after the
official had dropped his card during a Rangers v Hibs game. He was
booked for his troubles.
17) While attempting to deflect the 'kebab controversy' which spelled
the beginning of the end of his England career, assured reporters that
his doner-munching antics following Middlesbrough's promotion to the
Premiership would in no way affect his fitness before France 98. One
reporter asked: "What do you feel like now?" Back came the inevitable
response: "I feel like a kebab with onions."
1(Embedded image moved to file: pic32439.gif)Cool As an apprentice
desperate to impress then-Newcastle boss Jack
Charlton, spent a week's money on fishing gear and begged the famous
angler to give him a lesson. On arrival at the riverbank, Charlton
promptly threw all but the rod out into the briny, then poured a bottle
of Newcastle Brown into the water, dipped in the rod and within seconds
was pulling out a whopper. Lesson over.
19) As 'perk' of boot-cleaning duties during his apprenticeship, took
Kevin Keegan's Golas home to show his mates. But left them on the
20) When playing for England against Belgium in Italia 90, ridiculed
Enzo Scifo as he lay on the ground clutching his leg. Gazza thought he
was play-acting, so did a mime of his own which involved hopping on one
leg with his tongue rolling out.
21) His attempt to jet off to Libya with Middlesbrough for a post-season
tour was hampered by the fact he'd left his passport at home. An
emotional Gazza wept at the check-in desk until a minion was despatched
to bring it to the airport.
22) Celebrated his new-found hero status after flying home from Italia
90 by wearing a huge pair of fake plastic boobs and stomach bearing the
23) On meeting the president of Denmark's FA, pretended he could speak
Danish. When invited to demonstrate, imitated The Muppet Show's Swedish
24) Conned Five Bellies into eating a mince pie after he'd scraped out
the filling and replaced it with cat shit.
25) Walked into the Middlesbrough canteen wearing nothing but his
training socks and ordered lunch.
26) Paid #320 for a Mars Bar in a newsagents in his home town of
Dunston, then told the shop owner to spend the change on sweets for
27) Whilst dining in the prestigious Bedford Arms Hotel in Woburn with a
few of his Geordie mates, decided to place his erect member on the
shoulder of a diner at the next table. Thinking someone had tapped him
on the shoulder the gentleman turned his head only to have Gazza's
helmet prod him in the cheek.
2(Embedded image moved to file: pic24626.gif)Cool Took a documentary team
to a beautiful Scottish cottage which he
informed them was his new place, pretended he'd forgotten his key and
knocked instead. When the door opened, told the befuddled housewife
inside that he was doing a telly advert and wanted to know if she
preferred Daz or Omo.
29) Crashed Middlesbrough's team bus at the club's training ground and
caused #310,000 worth of damage.
30) While at Rangers, urinated over sleeping team-mate Richard Gough.
31) Handed #1,000 over to Jimmy Five Bellies after betting that the
burly boozer couldn't withstand a cigarette lighter's heat on the bridge
of his nose for five seconds. Jimmy could. Twice.
32) After briefly giving up drinking, was advised to find a new
interest. Picked bingo.
33) Bought a #1,000 robot and programmed it to travel into Jimmy Five
Bellies' room at Gazza Towers and announce: "Make a cup of tea, fat
34) Was banned from Liverpool's Cream nightclub in advance within days
of joining Everton because the Evertonians who run the place wanted him
to avoid temptation and stay fit.
35) Prepared for England matches during that hugely important tournament
by playing marathon games of tennis in the scorching midday sun.
36) Thought it would be appropriate to wear a blue fright wig before the
1991 FA Cup Final.
37) In his time, has agreed to dress as a Roman centurion, a clown,
Oliver Hardy and Braveheart for photo opportunities.
3(Embedded image moved to file: pic11323.gif)Cool While his Italia 90
team-mate was the hero of Hillsborough, marched
into a Sheffield barber shop and demanded "a Waddle cut."
39) When Gazza signed for Spurs in 1988, he came down to finalise the
deal with a bunch of his Geordie mates. They took over the posh hotel in
Hadley Wood where Spurs were footing the bill and wreaked havoc. Gazza
met then-chairman Irving Scholar and began talks by saying, "We'd like
to thank you for the best three days of our lives."
40) Was asked to leave West Lodge Park Hotel in London after guests were
treated to the sight of a naked Five Bellies swimming across the duck
41) On his first night in Rome after signing for Lazio, gave his minder
the slip, put his shoes by an open window and hid in a cupboard. The
minder thought he'd committed suicide.
42) Recorded a video message for a corporate party and signed off with a
cheery "Happy Christmas, you f***ing w***ers."
43) Greeted reporters in Rome by standing up, asking for silence, then
farting at ear-splitting volume.
44) Told an interviewer that he was so superstitious about the number 13
that he couldn't ever bear to see the numbers 4 and 9 together. Oddly,
the combination of 5 and 8 was deemed OK.
45) Shredded England team-mate Dennis Wise's Armani suit "for a laugh."
46) While staying at a Scottish hotel, drove across its golf course in
his four-wheel drive Jeep.
47) While his reputation preceded him in Italy, the English language did
not. Hence, his Lazio debut was marked by a banner which read: 'Gazza's
Boys, We Are Here. Shake Your Women And Drink Your Beer.'
4(Embedded image moved to file: pic05537.gif)Cool Conversely, rival Italian
supporters once hailed him with a banner
which stated bluntly: 'Paul Gazza, You Are Fat Poofta.'
49) After being sent off while playing for Lazio, shook hands with
virtually every member of the Genoa side.
50) While staying in a New Zealand hotel, was told there was no bacon
for breakfast. Replied, "What, all the sheep in this country and there's
no bloody bacon!"